Tuesday 20 October 2009

Chapter 7: We Used To Have Fun


7.1 EXT. KINGDOM FAITHFUL COUNTRYSIDE - DAY


JEN (19, independent country girl, brazen and brash) is marching along a dirt track. SAM (32, quirky druid, small fish in large pond - the water of which is getting hotter) and SHARON (appears 30, child-like, vindictive) follow her.


[Sharon is only visible to Jen. Sam cannot see or hear Sharon.]


JEN
Stop following me!


SAM
I won’t, Jen.


SHARON
He won’t, Jen.


JEN
You can shut up and all.


SAM
Who are you talking to?


JEN
I don’t know anymore.


SAM
Explain to me.


JEN
No.


SAM
Why not?

SHARON
Yeah, why not?


Jen stops, holding her head with angst.


JEN
Stop it!


SAM
Stop what?


JEN
Not you.


SAM
Then who?


JEN
Her.


SAM
And who is she?


JEN
I don’t know. But she keeps following me and talking to me and no one else can see her. Unless everyone’s playing a massive prank. And if it is, then it is not funny.


SHARON
He can’t see or hear me.


SAM
There have been mentions of an entity that accompanies the Crown, viewable only to the wearer. Whether this is a spirit or a hallucinogenic fiction, I don’t know. But it is for you and your eyes only.


SHARON
How dare he! As if I exist for you. It is you who exist for me!


JEN
She didn’t like that.


SAM
She can hear me?


JEN
Yup. And she says that I exist for her.


SHARON
That’s right. He does not know what he’s talking about.

SAM
Does she have a name?

SHARON
It’s Sharon.


JEN
Sharon.


SAM
Sharon?


SHARON
Yes, Sharon! Got a problem with that?


JEN
No, he doesn’t.


SAM
I don’t what?


JEN
Have a problem.


SAM
With what?


SHARON
My name!


JEN
Her name.


SAM
Of course not.


SHARON
Good.


JEN
(exasperated)
Why is this so difficult?


SAM
I am sorry, Jen, but you’ll have to report what Sharon says. Alright?


JEN
Fine.


SAM
Sharon, what is life like for you when someone is not wearing the Crown?


SHARON
All darkness and despair. Loneliness and emptiness. 

JEN
Darkness. Despair. Loneliness. Emptiness.


SAM
Anything else?

SHARON
I see their faces. All of their faces. Lunging, lurching at me. Screaming at me. Torturing me. They hate me. They blame me.


JEN
She sees faces. Lunging and screaming at her. They hate her. They blame her.


SAM
Whose faces are they?

SHARON
Of my friends. Of the ones that played with me. The ones who wore the Crown. We used to have fun together. Not anymore. They abandoned me.


JEN
They’re the faces of the people who have worn the Crown. She says that they abandoned her.


SAM
How did they abandon you, Sharon?


SHARON
They didn’t want to play anymore. So I took them. I left their bodies and took their souls so that we could play forever.


JEN
She took their souls when they took the Crown off. She says that it is because they didn’t want to play any more.


SAM
What about those who wanted to play, but were forced not to?


SHARON
They are with me too. Because they want to play.


JEN
She sees them too. They want to play. Can you see Rosa?


SHARON
Yes.

JEN
Can you speak to her?


SHARON
Only in the darkness.


JEN
Can they speak to each other?


SHARON
I don’t know. They just scream at me. 


SAM
How many are there, Sharon?


SHARON
Hundreds.


JEN
Hundreds. And one day I will join them.


SAM
Are they dreams? Are they nightmares? Or is that their afterlife, Sharon? 


JEN
What will happen to me?


SHARON
I don’t know! I don’t know! Stop asking me these questions!


JEN
She wants us to stop.


SAM
Fair enough. We shall continue walking. I am taking you the Druid’s Grove, Jen. You will be safe there. 


JEN
Safe from who?


SAM
I wish I was sure.


CUT TO:

No comments:

Post a Comment